Jordan A. LaVine is chair of Flaster Greenberg's Intellectual Property Department and serves as a member of the firm’s Board of Directors. He concentrates his practice on trademark, copyright and unfair competition, strategic counseling, litigation, licensing, and prosecution matters. He is highly regarded within the legal industry and was recently named by the World Trademark Review as one of the top three attorneys in Pennsylvania for trademark prosecution, strategy, and counseling and he was ranked in the World Trademark Review’s highest band (gold) for his work.
Mr. LaVine handles matters involving trademarks, trade dress, product configuration, unfair competition, trade secrets, copyrights, false advertising and Internet related intellectual property issues. His Internet experience includes handling domain disputes under the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy and counseling clients concerning website development and content protection. Some of Mr. LaVine’s representative clients are The New York Times Company, Penske Media (publisher of Rolling Stone, Variety, and The Robb Report), GrubHub, Advanced Sports, Inc. (manufacturer of Fuji, Kestrel, SE and Breezer bikes), and Medidata Solutions (a leading provider of software solutions for clinical trial management). Mr. LaVine represents clients of all sizes, from individuals to start-up companies to some of the largest companies in the world.
A frequent lecturer and author, Mr. LaVine speaks and writes on various topics in the intellectual property field. Mr. LaVine is a past co-chair of ALI/ABA’s course of trademarks, copyrights and unfair competition for the general counsel and solo practitioners and is a frequent speaker on topics related to intellectual property law. Mr. LaVine has also been engaged as expert witness in matters concerning trademark law and is also regularly contacted by members of the media for legal commentary on breaking news regarding trademark disputes.
In addition to this recognition by the World Trademark Review, Mr. LaVine has received numerous other recognitions, including being selected as a “Leader in the Field” in Pennsylvania for Intellectual Property by Chambers & Partners USA, 2008-2018; selected to Best Lawyers in America® in the field of trademarks and copyrights 2013 – 2017; was ranked by Trademark Insider Magazine among the top 25 trademark lawyers in the U.S.; and has been named a Pennsylvania “Super Lawyer” by Thomson-Reuters for many years.
For 13 years, Mr. LaVine was an adjunct professor at Villanova University School of Law, where he created and taught the course “Advanced Trademark Issues.” He has also been a guest lecturer at the Fordham University School of Law.
Mr. LaVine represents public and private companies in such industries as media and publishing, technology and telecommunications, consumer products and services, pharmaceuticals, healthcare, financial services, automotive, automotive chemicals and accessories, retail and commercial services, apparel, jewelry, software and food products, handling such matters as:
- Advising companies regarding brand selection and the expansion and strengthening of their portfolios of intellectual property through registration, licensing and other means
- Contested matters in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and the federal courts, including trial work and numerous preliminary injunction hearings on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants
- International procurement and protection of intellectual property rights
- Assisting with the prevention of the misappropriation of intellectual property in electronic media, including the Internet
Honors & Awards
- Named to the World Trademark Review 1000 List, 2011 – 2019, by IP Media Group
- 2019: Jordan LaVine is said to be an "inspirational group leader" who "is incredibly practical, looks at issues through a business lens and analyses risk precisely. He has good interpersonal skills but can be aggressive when need be."
- 2018: The "highly skilled" Jordan LaVine "knows how to deal with brand owners and achieve the best results for them. He understands that it’s not all about being right, but what is practical and economically viable for his client.”
- 2017: Cited for being "very skilled and fantastic at prosecution on both a national and international level."
- Selected as a 'Leader in the Field' of Intellectual Property, Pennsylvania, Chambers & Partners USA, 2008 – 2019
- 2019: Referred to as a "fantastic" lawyers who is "very practical, solution-oriented ans responsive."
- 2018: Clients applauded Jordan for being"knowledgeable, available and confident” as well as “extremely responsive and efficient.”
- 2017: Sources praised Jordan for being "totally responsive," having his work "perfectly done" and that "he makes sure we're [clients] are totally protected."
- 2016: Clients referred to Jordan as a "bright, creative trademark attorney" and a "true pleasure to work with."
- 2015: "Very level-headed and even-keeled" in his work.
- 2013: "Responsive and prompt with advice...and very pragmatic."
- 2011: "A real solid trademark attorney" with "great instincts."
- Named a Pennsylvania "Super Lawyer" in the area of Intellectual Property Law, 2005, 2012 – 2019, by Thomson Reuters, publishers of Pennsylvania Super Lawyers
- Selected to Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Trademark Law, 2015 – 2020
- Selected to Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Copyright Law, 2013 – 2020
- Named a "Top Attorney" in the area of Intellectual Property by SJ Magazine, 2019
- Ranked by Trademark Insider Magazine among the top 25 trademark lawyers in the U.S in 2008
- Named a "Lawyer on the Fast Track" by The Legal Intelligencer, 2002
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- International Trademark Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Philadelphia Intellectual Property Law Association
- Press Release(August 15, 2019)
- Press Release(May 28, 2019)
- Press Release(May 13, 2019)
- Press Release(March 19, 2019)
- Press Release(August 20, 2018)
- Press Release(May 18, 2018)
- Press Release(May 8, 2018)
- Press Release(October 1, 2017)
- Press Release(June 7, 2017)
- Nine Flaster Greenberg Attorneys Honored by Thomson Reuters as 2017 Pennsylvania “Super Lawyers” and “Rising Stars”Press Release(May 18, 2017)
- Press Release(March 15, 2017)
- Press Release(August 18, 2016)
- Press Release(May 31, 2016)
- Nine Flaster Greenberg Attorneys Honored by Thomson Reuters as 2016 Pennsylvania “Super Lawyers” and “Rising Stars”Press Release(May 11, 2016)
- Press Release(April 5, 2016)
- Press Release(October 28, 2015)
- Twelve Flaster Greenberg Attorneys Honored by Thomson Reuters as 2015 Pennsylvania “Super Lawyers” and “Rising Stars”Press Release(May 29, 2015)
- Press Release(May 26, 2015)
- Press Release(May 18, 2015)
- Press Release(May 5, 2015)
- Press Release(December 2, 2014)
- Press Release(August 19, 2014)
- Press Release(June 23, 2014)
- Press Release(June 19, 2014)
- Fifteen Flaster Greenberg Attorneys Honored by Thomson Reuters as 2014 Pennsylvania “Super Lawyers” and “Rising Stars”Press Release(May 16, 2014)
- Press Release(February 6, 2014)
- Press Release(January 31, 2014)
- Press Release(November 12, 2013)
- Press Release(June 17, 2013)
- Eight Flaster/Greenberg Attorneys Honored by Thomson Reuters as 2013 Pennsylvania “Super Lawyers” and “Rising Stars”Press Release(May 17, 2013)
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® Gives “Best Law Firm” Recognition to Flaster/Greenberg’s Bankruptcy Department and Individual Recognitions to Four F/G AttorneysPress Release(November 1, 2012)
- Press Release(August 29, 2012)
- Press Release(June 18, 2012)
- Seven Flaster/Greenberg Attorneys Honored by Thomson Reuters as 2012 Pennsylvania “Super Lawyers” and “Rising Stars”Press Release(June 4, 2012)
- Press Release(March 21, 2012)
- Press Release(January 6, 2012)
- Press Release(June 10, 2011)
- Press Release(May 19, 2011)
- Press Release(April 27, 2011)
- Press Release(January 5, 2011)
- Press Release(November 9, 2010)
- Philadelphia Business Journal(September 28, 2010)
- Press Release(May 12, 2010)
- Press Release(March 17, 2010)
- Press Release(October 26, 2009)
- Press Release(May 18, 2009)
- Press Release(April 15, 2009)
- Free Flaster Greenberg Seminar on "Trademark and Copyright – A Survival Guide to Protecting a Good Name”Press Release(December 30, 2008)
- Free Seminar on "Trademark and Survival Tips to Protecting a Brand or Business Name" at Flaster/Greenberg March 11Press Release(February 21, 2008)
- Attorney Jordan A. LaVine of Flaster/Greenberg Planning Co-Chair of National American Bar Association Conference in ChicagoPress Release(August 13, 2007)
- Domestic Trademark Registrations Are Not Enough: The Ins and Outs and of Protecting Trademarks InternationallyThe Association of Corporate Counsel - Greater Philadelphia (ACC)(March 23, 2016)
- Flaster/Greenberg(June 8, 2011)
- Flaster/Greenberg(January 26, 2011)
- Flaster/Greenberg(November 17, 2009)
- Flaster/Greenberg(April 20, 2009)
- Flaster/Greenberg(September 10, 2008)
Articles & Alerts
- Legal Alert(October 3, 2019)
- Philadelphia Magazine(January 10, 2018)
- Philadelphia Magazine(January 24, 2017)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Reduces Trademark Application Filing Fees – Securing Trademark Registrations Now More Affordable(January 22, 2015)
- Trademark Clearinghouse Allows Trademark Owners to Monitor Registration of Generic Top-Level DomainsLegal Alert(March 25, 2013)
- Legal Alert(March 15, 2012)
- (June 3, 2009)
- The Philadelphia Lawyer(December 2008)
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Villanova University School of Law, J.D.
- Colgate University, B.A.