Flaster Greenberg’s Environmental Law attorneys represent clients in all aspects of environmental and land use matters including transactions, litigation, permitting and compliance.
We help identify practical alternatives to achieve business objectives while complying with legal regulations. Our environmental attorneys represent a diverse range of clients that includes manufacturers; chemical producers, oil recycling and energy companies; medium and small businesses; financial institutions; and residential, commercial and industrial developers.
Often tapped as instructors due to the depth of their knowledge and experience, our attorneys regularly speak to professional, business and industry groups, as well as write frequently about environmental topics.
Our Success Speaks For Itself
Our environmental attorneys are highly distinguished and we are most proud of the results achieved for our clients. Representative examples include:
On behalf of an industrial client currently remediating groundwater contamination, we successfully convinced the NJDEP to withdraw proposed regulations that would have set a state-specific cleanup standard for a contaminant that was significantly more stringent than the current national interim standard set only recently by the USEPA. We were able to convince the NJDEP that its proposed cleanup standard of 5 ppb lacked key scientific data and analysis and did not support the NJDEP proposal claiming to be more protective of human health than the current federal interim standard of 15 ppb. We were also successful in convincing the NJDEP that no adverse public health consequences would ensue if the NJDEP waited for the USEPA to adopt a permanent federal standard before deciding upon any state-specific standard.
We successfully guided our client through the Industrial Site Recovery Act (ISRA) process and convinced NJ DEP to approve the full release of client’s mandated funding source required under ISRA in the face of ongoing monitoring and reporting requirements.
Our legal team successfully recovered millions of dollars in insurance benefits for a gasoline distributor with ten contaminated sites.
Our attorneys obtained funds in a suit filed under the New Jersey Spill Act and against insurance carriers, which allowed for a multimillion-dollar cleanup of a long-contaminated PCB site in Franklin Township, New Jersey.
- We successfully litigated a claim for multimillion-dollar cleanup costs and damages on behalf of a New Jersey developer against a Fortune 500 company that polluted a site before the client purchased it.
- We obtained multimillion-dollar cost recoveries for original defendants in third party practice against hundreds of defendants in the Helen Kramer Landfill (New Jersey) and Berks/Douglassville (Pennsylvania) Superfund litigations.
- We recovered millions of dollars in insurance proceeds which assisted in the cleanup of a site which had been contaminated with arsenic by a chemical manufacturer.
- We successfully guided clients through dozens of gasoline station, dry cleaning and other industrial, commercial and residential contaminated sites by obtaining regulatory approvals, cost recovery against responsible parties, and obtaining insurance proceeds through applicable insurance policies.
Recent Blog Posts
- Press Release(May 13, 2019)
- Seven Flaster Greenberg Attorneys Honored by Thomson Reuters as 2019 New Jersey “Super Lawyers” and “Rising Stars”Press Release(March 22, 2019)
- Press Release(January 22, 2019)
- Press Release(August 20, 2018)
- Press Release(July 17, 2018)
- Press Release(May 8, 2018)
- Eight Flaster Greenberg Attorneys Honored by Thomson Reuters as 2018 New Jersey “Super Lawyers” and “Rising Stars”Press Release(March 23, 2018)
- Press Release(March 22, 2018)
- Press release(March 19, 2018)
- Press Release(November 19, 2017)
- Press Release(October 1, 2017)
- Press Release(June 7, 2017)
- Nine Flaster Greenberg Attorneys Honored by Thomson Reuters as 2017 New Jersey “Super Lawyers” and “Rising Stars”Press Release(April 3, 2017)
- (November 1, 2016)
- Health BioTech and Pharma CLE Institute, Greater Philadelphia Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC)(June 18, 2019)
- A Renewed Focus on Environmental Justice in New Jersey: A Look at Environmental Justice, NJDEP Priorities and the ConstitutionNew Jersey State Bar Association(May 16, 2019)
- New Jersey Builders Association(April 2, 2019)
- 2019 NEC/AEEE Airports Conference(March 29, 2019)
- Handling Natural Resource Damages Claims in New Jersey: A Practical Guide To Get the Best Results For & Protect The Clients You RepresentNJICLE, NJSBA Environmental Law Section(February 20, 2019)
- Continuing Professional Education Services, LLC (CPES)(December 14, 2018)
- NJICLE(December 6, 2018)
- Flaster Greenberg and Langan Engineering(November 29, 2018)
- (September 24, 2018)
- New Jersey Builders Association(September 21, 2018)
- NJICLE(May 30, 2018)
- New Jersey Builders Association(February 23, 2018)
- NJICLE(December 7, 2017)
- CPES at Montclair State University(December 1, 2017)
- (November 15, 2017)
- National Business Institute(August 22, 2017)
- New Jersey Builders Association(April 5, 2017)
Articles & Alerts
- (June 17, 2019)
- (June 3, 2019)
- (May 16, 2019)
- (April 30, 2019)
- NJ Cannabis insider(April 25, 2019)
- (April 15, 2019)
- (April 8, 2019)
- (March 8, 2019)
- (January 24, 2019)
- (January 22, 2019)
- (December 27, 2018)
- (December 17, 2018)
- (November 29, 2018)
- (November 28, 2018)
- (November 26, 2018)
- (November 16, 2018)
- (November 2, 2018)
- (October 22, 2018)
- Marcellus Shale Update: Depoliticizing Middle East Oil Dependence through Increased Production of U.S. Shale(October 12, 2018)
- (September 14, 2018)
- (September 11, 2018)
- New Jersey Law Journal(September 10, 2018)
- New Jersey Law Journal(January 1, 2018)
- Law360(November 7, 2017)
- NJBA Dimensions(Fall 2015)
- The Legal Eagle - NJSBA Publication(Winter 2015)
- Legal Alert(February 4, 2015)
- Who Has to Pay for Periods of Insolvent Insurance in Long-Tail Coverage Claims? New Jersey High Court Changes the Game in Favor of PolicyholdersEnvironmental Claims Journal, Volume 26, Issue 1(March 2014)
- New Jersey Law Journal(May 13, 2013)
- Philadelphia Commercial Buildings Over 50,000 Square Feet Subject to Upcoming Reporting Deadlines under New Energy and Water Use Benchmarking OrdinanceLegal Alert(February 25, 2013)
- Legal Alert(December 14, 2012)
- Legal Alert(August 3, 2012)
- (April 5, 2012)
- New Jersey Law Journal(December 16, 2010)
- (October 11, 2010)
- Legal Alert(March 25, 2010)
- Legal Alert(August 10, 2009)
- Legal Alert(July 20, 2009)
- Legal Alert(June 1, 2007)
- Legal Alert(August 1, 2005)
- New Jersey Law Journal, vol. CLXXIX, no. 7, index 606(February 7, 2005)
- Legal Alert(August 1, 2004)