Michael J. Stutman is a shareholder in the firm's Business and Corporate Law and Real Estate and Environmental Law departments. He advises businesses, property owners, investors, and developers on all aspects of commercial transactions including real estate, mergers and acquisitions, financing, and joint ventures.
Michael focuses his practice on property acquisition, ownership, and operation including development, vendor relationships, and property management. He also represents clients in connection with commercial leases for retail, office, shopping centers, restaurants, and industrial space.
As an integral part of his real estate practice, Michael regularly provides general business counseling to owners in transactions ranging from mergers and acquisitions to sales and joint ventures, contracts, entity choice, financing transactions, and how to obtain grants, loans, and tax credits.
Michael believes in a client-centered approach to legal practice with a focus on the whole person, not just the legal matter. He is present, focused, compassionate, and ready to guide and collaborate with his clients.
In addition, Michael frequently speaks about how to avoid piercing the corporate veil.
Real Estate Transactions/Finance
- Advised joint venture of real estate investor and real estate developer in connection with acquisition and construction of mixed use property; including limited partnership documents, development, and management agreements and related documentation; financing – $32 million acquisition/construction loan, $7 million historic tax credit investment, and $6.6 million bridge loan.
- Advised real estate investor in connection with acquisition and financing of portfolio of eight Baltimore- based office buildings.
- Advised real estate investor in connection with acquisition and financing of portfolio of ten Houston-based office buildings.
- Advised real estate investor in connection with acquisition and financing of portfolio of twelve suburban Philadelphia-based office buildings.
- Advised real estate developer in connection with $16.5 million CMBS refinancing of multifamily property; including A Note and four (4) B Notes.
- Advised real estate developer in connection with $37 million construction financing of mixed use (primarily multifamily, with retail and potential hotel) property. The capital stack included construction loan, Redevelopment Authority loan, PRA grant, $7 million historic tax credit investment, and PIDC bridge loan.
- Advised real estate developer in connection with $46 million FHA refinancing of multifamily property.
- Advised real estate developer in connection with $24 million CMBS refinancing of commercial/retail property.
- Advised real estate developer in connection with $24.5 million CMBS refinancing of multifamily/residential condominium property.
- Counseled environmental startup in connection with green energy upgrades, including financing of projects.
- Advised multiple real estate investors and developers in connection with formation and governance documentation.
- Advised client in connection with $3 million acquisition of general partnership interest in joint venture development project.
- Advised real estate developer of multifamily/mixed use project in connection with creation of condominium regime, including condominium declaration and all related condominium documents, development agreement, management agreement and related documentation.
- Advised real estate developer in connection with creation of multifamily/mixed use condominium regime, including development agreement, management agreement and related documentation.
- Advised clients on multiple amendments to condominium projects.
- Advised multiple clients, including real estate investor and developer/property manager in connection
with multiple office, industrial, restaurant and retail leases.
- Advised real estate developer in connection with lease to international grocery store retail tenant.
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
Articles & Alerts
- Insurance Coverage Considerations for Commercial Leases()
- Temple University – Beasley School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Temple Law Review, Member
- University of Pennsylvania - The Wharton School, B.S., Finance
- The Honorable John F. Gerry, Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey