David S. Neufeld has practiced law for more than 30 years, advising individuals on sophisticated wealth planning (encompassing income tax, estate tax, state residency tax planning, asset protection, and the legal aspects of insurance and investment planning) and fiduciary due diligence. Additionally, he is an international tax lawyer who has helped business clients engaged in both inbound and outbound transactions as well as the individual tax issues that arise from cross-border business and transactions.
He also advises insurance and wealth management institutions on programs, including “private placement life insurance” and captive insurance companies, that deliver to their clients cost-efficient risk mitigation along with tax-efficient investment opportunities. In addition, David is highly sought after to consult with taxpayers and their legal and accounting advisors on “aggressive tax planning gone bad,” including Form 8886 filings (and misfilings), resulting tax audits and tax litigation as well as an expert witness in the consequential civil litigation.
David is past chair of the Insurance & Financial Planning Committee of the Real Property, Trust & Estate (RPTE) Section of the American Bar Association among other leadership positions within the ABA. In 2006 David became Chairman of the Synergy Summit, a leadership organization whose members include the top leaders from within the ABA, AICPA, SFSP, NAELA and NAEPC, among others. In 2007 David was appointed ABA Advisor to the NCCUSL drafting committee for the “Uniform Insurable Interest in Trust” Law.
A pioneer in domestic and offshore limited liability company law, including chairing the “Single-Member LLC Task Force” for the New Jersey State Bar Association’s Tax Section and drafting the Caribbean island of Nevis’ LLC ordinance and its captive insurance amendments, Mr. Neufeld was one of four lawyers in the state to be awarded the New Jersey State Bar Association’s 1998 “Advocacy Award.” David is rated AV-Preeminent by Martindale-Hubble, its highest rating, has been designated an Accredited Estate Planner by the National Association of Estate Planners and Councils, has been repeatedly listed in New Jersey’s Top Rated Lawyers and Super Lawyers.
Having received his A.B. from Duke University, his J.D. cum laude from New York Law School and his LL.M. in Taxation from New York University School of Law, David served a two-year appointment as attorney-advisor to Judge Julian I. Jacobs of the United States Tax Court. He has been admitted to the Society of Trust & Estates Professionals (STEP), has been a member of the Board of Trustees of Prosperity New Jersey and was on the Editorial Advisory Board of the Asset Protection Journal. David has published scores of articles and has spoken around the world on the areas of his expertise, as well as having been featured in BusinessWeek, Medical Economics, The Wall Street Journal and appearing on CNBC, among others. One of David’s favorite hobbies outside the office is performing stand-up comedy.
Honors & Awards
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- Named an Awesome Attorney, Business Litigation Law, South Jersey Magazine, 2018
- Named a New Jersey "Super Lawyer," by Thomson Reuters, publishers of New Jersey Super Lawyers magazine
- Advocacy Award, New Jersey State Bar Association, 1998
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Trust & Estate (RPTE) Section—Chair of Corporate Sponsorship; Council
- American Bar Association, Tax Section, Member
- National Association of Estate Planners & Councils, Accredited Estate Planner
- Society of Trust & Estates Professionals, Member
- Prosperity New Jersey, Past Board Member
- Asset Protection Journal, Editorial Advisory Board
- Press Release(December 6, 2018)
- Press Release(September 18, 2018)
- New Jersey Law Journal(June 21, 2018)
- Flaster Greenberg Expands Footprint and Bolsters Corporate/Tax Practice with the Addition of Shareholder David S. NeufeldPress Release(June 4, 2018)
- CHAMBER OF COMMERCE SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY GOOD MORNING SOUTH JERSEY SERIES(June 14, 2019)
- (May 7, 2019)
- Weiss Serota Helfman Cole & Bierman, Flaster Greenberg PC, Avison Young, Cherry Bekaert CPAs & Advisors(April 3, 2019)
- American Bar Association(October 25, 2018)
- (June 14, 2018)
Articles & Alerts
- Legal Alert(April 25, 2019)
- (April 23, 2019)
- South Florida Business & Wealth(March 4, 2019)
- Webber: Are Insurance Dedicated Funds Superfluous?Tax Notes
- To IDF or Not to IDFMFA Reporter
- The Keyport Ruling and The Investor Control Rule--Might Makes Right?Tax Notes
- The 419(e) Plan--Reports of its Death are Greatly ExaggeratedFSP Journal
- Tax Planning with Private Placement Life InsuranceAsset Protection Journal
- New Version of 419 Plans--An Impending Train WreckFSP Journal
- New Guidance on Investor Control Rule--Road Map or Roadblock?Tax Notes
- Nevis Entertains Amendments to its Business Corporations, LLC and Insurance Ordinances--Offshore Investment
- Keeping it All--Using Private Placement Life Insurance to Achieve Tax Free Investment Returns
- IFC Economic Report Big Debate: Propriety of Tax Planning
- Calculating the Sec. 6707A Penalty: When a Return is Not The Return--Yari v. Commissioner
- The ILIT Liability Minefield: Trustees’ and Counsels’ Risks--ABA Real Property, Trust and Estate Section(Fall 2010)
Recent Blog PostsFlaster Greenberg PC Welcomes David S. Neufeld - Blog
- New Jersey
- New York
New York Law School, J.D., cum laude
New York University, LL.M., Taxation
Duke University, A.B.