John W. Fried is a member of the firm’s Insurance Counseling and Recovery and Litigation for Policyholders Practice Groups.
His civil practice is devoted primarily to representing policyholders whose insurance claims have been denied. He has represented many nationally known corporations seeking insurance coverage for pollution, asbestos, toxic tort, products, property, medical stop-loss, and business interruption claims. He also represents individuals seeking insurance covered by directors and officers insurance, errors and omissions insurance, and disability income insurance.
Before joining Flaster Greenberg on January 1, 2013, Mr. Fried was a partner at Fried & Epstein LLP. The law firm successfully recovered settlements and judgments of hundreds of million dollars for their policyholder-clients. The firm achieved significant trial and appellate victories in federal and state courts in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Illinois, Louisiana, Colorado, Missouri, Florida, Ohio, Delaware, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
From 1990 to 1999, Mr. Fried was a partner at Anderson Kill & Olick PC.
From 1972 to 1990, Mr. Fried was an assistant district attorney in the Manhattan District Attorney's Office. As an Assistant DA, he prosecuted crimes such as murder, bribery and narcotics trafficking. He also served as chief of the Rackets Bureau, where he supervised and tried complex fraud, larceny and public corruption cases. In addition, he was appointed as a Special Assistant United States Attorney for purposes of prosecuting a RICO case against public officials. Thereafter, Mr. Fried became chief of the District Attorney's Trial Division, where he supervised more than 250 assistant district attorneys in a broad range of cases, ranging from disorderly conduct to murder.
Admitted to practice before the state and federal courts of New Jersey and New York, Mr. Fried is an active member of the New York City Bar Association.
- Garewal v. McGuckin, 50 Misc 3d 1071 (Ossining Justice Court, Werstchester Co. 2015)
- People v. Hawkins, 50 Misc 3d 907 (Ossining Justice Court, Westchester Co. 2015)
- People v. Plateau Associates LLC, 38 Misc 3d 770 (Ossining Justive Court, Westchester Co. 2015) aff'd, 46 Misc 3d 1(App. Term, Second Dep't 2014) lv. to app. denied, 25 N.Y. 3d1169 2015)
- Warren Pearl Construction Corp. v. Guardian Life Insurance Co. of Amer., 639 F. Supp. 2d 371 (S.D.N.Y. 2009)
- Mangual v. U.S.A. Realty Corp., 63 A.D.3d 493, 880 N.Y.S.2d 637 (1st Dep’t 2009)
- Brooks v. Lewin, 48 A.D.3d 289, 853 N.Y.S.2d 286 (1st Dep’t 2008).
- 426-428 W. 46th St. Owners, Inc. v. Greater N.Y. Mut. Ins. Co., 55 A.D.3d 480, 867 N.Y.S.2d 385 (1st Dep’t 2008)
- Reliance Ins. Co. v. Griffin Dewatering Corp., Case No. 2:05 cv 281, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 29110 (N.D. Ind. 2007)
- 426-428 W. 46th St. Owners, Inc. v. Greater N.Y. Mut. Ins. Co., 16 Misc. 3d 1114A, 847 N.Y.S.2d 896 (Sup. Ct., N.Y. Co. 2007)
- Brewer v. Hall, CV 00-6072 (ADS)(ARL), 2005 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 44908 (E.D.N.Y 2005)
- Brewer v. Village of Old Field, 311 F. Supp. 2d 382 & 390 (E.D.N.Y 2004)
- Citizens Communications. Co. v. Trustmark Ins. Co., 303 F. Supp. 2d 197 (D. Conn 2004)
- MetLife Capital Corp. v. Westchester Fire Ins. Co., 224 F. Supp. 2d 374 (D.P.R. 2002)
- MetLife Capital Corp. v. Water Quality Ins. Syndicate, 198 F. Supp. 2d 97 (D.P.R. 2002)
- Brooks v. Zurich-American Ins. Group, 300 A.D.2d 176, 753 N.Y.S.2d 454 (1st Dep’t 2002)
- Rheem Mfg. Co. v. Home Indem. Co., 282 A.D.2d 316, 723 N.Y.S.2d 354 (1st Dep’t 2001)
- MetLife Capital Corp. v. Water Quality Ins. Syndicate, 100 F. Supp. 2d 90 (D.P.R. 2000)
- National Union Fire Ins. Co. v. AARPO Inc., 97 Civ. 1438 (JSM), 999 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 181 (S.D.N.Y., 1999)
- National Union Fire Ins. Co. v. AARPO, Inc., 97 Civ. 1438 (JSM), 1998 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 21342 (S.D.N.Y. 1998)
- Central Maine Power Co. v. Moore, 1997 ME 83; 692 A.2d 943 (1997)
- Alabama Plating Co. v. United States Fid. & Guar. Co., 690 So. 2d 331 (Ala. Sup. Ct. 1997)
- SnyderGeneral Corp. v. Great Am. Ins. Co., 928 F. Supp. 674 (N.D. Tex. 1996)
- Continental Casualty Co. v. General Battery Corp., C.A. No. 93C-11-008, 1994 Del. Super. LEXIS 541 (Del. Supr. Ct. 1994)
- United States v. Randell, No. S. 84 Cr. 253 (CBM), 1985 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 20973 (S.D.N.Y 1985)
- In re Grand Jury of New York County, 125 Misc. 2d 918, 480 N.Y.S.2d 998 (Sup. Ct., N.Y. Co. 1984)
- Rodriguez v. Morgenthau, 121 Misc. 2d 694, 468 N.Y.S.2d 833 (Sup. Ct., N.Y. Co. 1983)
- People v. Cardona, 106 Misc. 2d 1094, 432 N.Y.S.2d 978 (Supreme Court of New York, New York County, 1980)
- People v. Johnson, 99 Misc. 2d 450, 416 N.Y.S.2d 495 (Supreme Court of New York, New York County, 1979)
- People v. Farr, 80 Misc. 2d 250, 362 N.Y.S.2d 915 (Supreme Court of New York, New York County, 1974)
Honors & Awards
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- Named a New York - Metro "Super Lawyer," by Thomas Reuters, publishers of New York Metro Super Lawyers, 2008 - 2017
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- New York City Bar Association
- Justice of the Justice Court of the Town of Ossining, New York (2010 - 2015)
Mr. Fried was an elected Justice of the Justice Court of the Town of Ossining, in Westchester County, New York.
- Partner in Justice Pro Bono Award, Presented by Legal Services of the Hudson Valley, New York, 2008
- Honorable discharge, Captain, Infantry, U.S. Army Reserves, 1968—1976
Articles & Alerts
- Legal Alert()
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D.
- Rutgers University, A.B.
- Columbia University, M.A.