Joseph R. Klinicki is a shareholder in the firm’s Intellectual Property Department and Chair of the Patent Practice Group. Mr. Klinicki’s practice is focused on providing strategic guidance to companies developing and monetizing their intellectual property rights. He has experience in every stage of the patent life cycle – from initial strategic counseling to enforcement and post‐grant proceedings – and he recognizes the value IP can bring to any business.
Mr. Klinicki’s strong interest in developing technologies has resulted in his keen understanding of multiple technological areas. He is well‐versed in computer networking, artificial intelligence, electronics, cloud computing, data security/cryptography, computer software, and telecommunications systems. His practice is particularly specialized in the area of obtaining and monetizing standards essential patents (SEPs).
Joseph's patent procurement practice includes global portfolio managing responsibilities that have garnered him substantial interaction with the USPTO and all major foreign patent offices. He leverages this understanding of the global state of IP law to advance his clients’ business interests.
Mr. Klinicki takes the time to fully understand his clients’ business and technology systems before devising the appropriate IP strategy. In addition to assisting businesses protect their IP rights, his practice also includes transactional support related to IP transfers and licensing.
In addition to his patent practice, he represents clients in commercial litigation. A strong advocate for his clients in and out of the courtroom, Mr. Klinicki zealously represents IP property owners as both plaintiffs and as defendants in infringement matters, understanding the strategic advantages and potential risks faced by both parties. However, he never loses sight of the need to handle disputes efficiently and in a cost‐effective manner.
Mr. Klinicki earned his J.D. from the University of Texas Law School, with honors, and his B.S. from Penn State in electrical engineering with honors and high distinction.
- Location Based Services, LLC v. Mapillary Inc. (1:18-cv-01425), District of Delaware
- Successfully defended Mapillary Inc. in a patent infringement action brought by Location Based Services, LLC over alleged infringement of U.S. Patent No. 8,311,733. Mr. Klinicki was able to quickly and efficiently extract Mapillary from the suit by successfully invalidating the patent under 35 USC § 101 via a motion to dismiss.
- Intellectual Property Department Continues to Grow at Flaster Greenberg; Welcomes Seven Additional Patent Group MembersPress Release(January 14, 2020)
- Press Release(January 3, 2020)
- Association of Corporate Counsel, IP Institute(May 15, 2020)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- University of Texas School of Law, J.D., with honors
- The Pennsylvania State University, B.S., Electrical Engineering, with honors and high distinction