Ryan Peddle is a patent attorney in the firm's Intellectual Property Department working on matters involving patent procurement, patent litigation, patent due diligence, intellectual property strategy, portfolio development/management, and general counseling on infringement and licensing issues. Mr. Peddle works on matters in a variety of technologies with a focus on mechanical systems, heat exchangers, wind turbines, medical devices and methods, consumer products, machine learning, artificial intelligence, augmented reality, cloud computing, network security, software, mobile devices and apps, electrical systems, lighting controls, optics and optical systems, lasers, video compression and delivery protocols (H.264 (AVC), H.265 (HEVC), VVC, DASH), and home automation.
Mr. Peddle has extensive experience in U.S. and foreign patent procurement and prosecution. He has helped clients ranging from large corporations to small start-ups procure utility patents and design patents. He has extensive experience charting world-wide patent matters to assist with the monetization of those utility and design patent assets. And, he has experience representing clients before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB).
For many of his clients, Mr. Peddle is relied on for understanding competitive products and technical standards related to his clients’ businesses. His understanding is leveraged to support licensing and litigation efforts for the patents that are ultimately issued to Mr. Peddle’s clients. He also helps his clients assess and manage risk associated with existing products and launching new products by conducting freedom-to-operate studies, drafting non-infringement/invalidity opinions, and performing competitive landscaping analyses.
Mr. Peddle draws on a combination of education and work experience that includes a Master’s degree and 10 years as a systems engineer and mechanical engineer with the U.S. Department of Defense. While designing ship systems and integrating new mechanical, electrical, and control system technologies into existing ship systems, Mr. Peddle led teams that took various designs from concept to production. Specifically, during his time working for the Naval Surface Warface Center, Ryan worked on gas turbine generators and was responsible for the design and evaluation of gas turbine engine support systems options. He also has work experience in radar systems and electronics packaging.
- Experience prosecuting and managing portfolios related to:
- telecommunications technology, including 3G WCDMA, 4G LTE, 5G NR, and 802.11;
- computer software, including graphical user interfaces (GUIs), artificial intelligence (e.g., software implementing various neural networks and other machine learning technology), data security, medical technologies, and other software features;
- video coding and compression technology;
- LED lighting and lighting controls;
- IOT systems;
- mechanical systems, including heat exchangers, air foils, and wind turbine technology;
- medical device technology, including inhalation devices, surgical implants, and digital health systems;
- electrical distribution technologies;
- consumer products; and
- optical structures, such as volume bragg gratings (VBGs) and holographic sights, including reflectors, lens, and laser diode designs that allowed for adjustable holographic sights that were more resilient to thermal stress (i.e., larger operational range in temperature without affecting performance).
- Experience supporting litigation and licensing efforts during prosecution of clients’ patent portfolios.
- Experience litigating cases involving Light Emitting Diodes and LED packaging involving optical properties, including the LED structures for emitting lights as well as the packaging for extracting light. Also collaborated with experts regarding light transmission, optical properties (refraction, reflection, scattering, transmission, and absorption) as well as worked with experts to establish optical testing criteria and tested products for optical properties.
- Intellectual Property Department Continues to Grow at Flaster Greenberg; Welcomes Seven Additional Patent Group MembersPress Release(January 14, 2020)