On Wednesday, September 16th, Flaster Greenberg PC will host and sponsor the Independent Business Alliance’s (IBA) third installment of “Legally Speaking: The Arrival and Impact of 50-State Marriage Equality” as part of their commitment as Corporate Sponsor of IBA. The seminar will take place at Flaster Greenberg’s center city office, located at 4 Penn Center, 1600 JFK Blvd, 2nd Floor, from 8:00 - 9:30 a.m.
The historic Supreme Court Decision on June 26th, Obergefell v. Hodges, establishing marriage equality in all 50 states, introduced long-awaited benefits and opportunities for same-sex couples throughout the country. While the availability of marriage can simplify many legal issues for same-sex couples and their families, other issues remain complicated – and some are even more complex than before. The program, entitled “The Arrival and Impact of 50-State Marriage Equality,” will provide an overview of what same-sex couples can expect moving forward. It will feature case studies and tips on dealing with other uncertainties that may arise. Topics will include:
- Overview of marriage equality: how we got here, where we were, and where we are now
- Assisted reproduction options available to LGBT prospective parents
- Protecting dual parental rights for both married and unmarried couples
- Why adoption remains important, but is not a panacea
- Divorce – long relationship but short marriage; civil unions
- Estate planning and estate taxes
- Inheriting property
- Gift taxes
- Income taxes
- IRAs and other retirement accounts
- Wills, Living Trusts, Powers of Attorney
- Thomas W. Ude, Jr., Esq., Legal and Public Policy Director, Mazzoni Center Legal Services
- Justin H. Brown, Esq., LL.M. (Tax), Flaster Greenberg PC
8:00 AM – 8:30 AM Registration and Networking (Continental Breakfast Begins)
8:30 AM – 9:30 AM Program (Continental Breakfast Continues) and Q&A
Professional Credits: This seminar is approved for one (1) substantive Pennsylvania CLE credit.
This event is FREE for IBA members; $15 for non-members*. Advanced registration encouraged. Walk-ins welcome. Non-IBA members and guests may purchase tickets for this event by clicking here.