For 40 years, scores of business owners, professionals, entrepreneurs, individuals and families with high net worths have looked to Bernard (“Buz”) Eizen for advice on structuring their estates and assets so as to preserve wealth and minimize tax exposure. He is known as one of Philadelphia's leading estate and asset preservation planning, taxation and business law attorneys and has a national reputation for his outstanding legal work. He also serves as a member of the firm's Board of Directors.
Mr. Eizen holds the designation of Accredited Estate Planner (AEP) by the National Council of Estate Planning Councils. A CPA and a lawyer, Mr. Eizen served as President of the American Association of Attorney-Certified Public Accountants (AAA-CPA) and as a member of the Association's Executive Committee from 1999 through 2006. He has held all governing offices in the AAA-CPA, a professional organization that limits membership to individuals who are qualified as both attorneys and certified public accountants. He also served as its Education Chair. He is a lifetime member of its Board of Directors and has been elected a Regent of the American Academy of AAA-CPA.
Throughout his career, Mr. Eizen has addressed professionals at meetings and seminars across the United States and has written several articles in the fields of taxation and estate planning. He has served as chair of the Editorial Board of the Pennsylvania CPA Journal, director of the Greater Philadelphia chapter of the Pennsylvania Institute of CPAs, and director of the Philadelphia Estate Planning Council. He also serves as a director of several private charitable foundations.
JEVS Human Services is a charitable organization serving approximately 35,000 people in the Philadelphia area each year in order to assist them in achieving their employment potential. Presently, Buz is the immediate Past Chair of the Board of Directors of JEVS Human Services, having served as Board cCair for a three-year period that ended in 2017. He is also the treasurer of the JEVS Foundation, which raises funds to support the mission of JEVS Human Services.
Additionally, Mr. Eizen serves as a Trustee of the Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia.
Mr. Eizen served for six years as a Trustee of the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America, and as its pro bono general counsel. He has served as Trustee of Gratz College, as a member of its Executive Committee, and as its Treasurer. In addition, he has been an active volunteer Member of the Board of Directors at the Abramson Center for Jewish Life where he previously served as a Member of the Board of The Polisher Research Institute within the Center, which focused on gerontology.
- Represented a private, multi-national consulting firm in sale of the firm. The sale was structured to allow units of a pass through entity which provided favorable tax treatment to non-U.S. members. It also provided favorable state tax outcomes for U.S. members in several states. In addition, the early termination of deferred compensation plan was structured and implemented. Transaction value $40,000,000.
- Represented controlling shareholder in going private transaction involving an integrated construction business. The shareholder’s family retained interest in the restructured business. Transaction value $50,000,000.
- Represented several significant minority shareholders in structuring state tax consequences of the sale of shares of a large publicly traded banking company. Transaction value up to $35,000,000 for each client.
- Currently representing global gaming consulting firm in connection with business and tax planning structure of international operations. The matter involves coordinating closely with staff counsel for major investment firm/joint venture partner and a big 4 CPA firm.
- Restructured tax planning developed by another law firm for gaming consulting client, with respect to taxation of option to acquire shares of a non-U.S. publicly traded company. Transaction value over $100,000,000.
- Represented multi-national consulting firm in sale to a competitor. Transaction value $50 million dollars.
- Serve as general counsel and director of a family owned manufacturing company with annual sales of $500 million dollars.
Honors & Awards
- Elected as a Regent of the American Academy of Attorney-Certified Public Accountants
- Holds the designation of Accredited Estate Planner (AEP) by the National Council of Estate Planning Councils
- Named an Awesome Attorney, Trusts & Estates Law, South Jersey Magazine, 2018
- Selected by Worth Magazine as one of the Top 100 Lawyers in America, 2007 and 2008
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- American Association of Attorney-Certified Public Accountants (AAA-CPA)
- Life Member, Board of Directors
- Past President
- Greater Philadelphia chapter of the Pennsylvania Institute of CPAs
- Former Director
- Philadelphia Estate Planning Council
- Former Director
- Editorial Board of the Pennsylvania CPA Journal
- Past Chair
- Temple Law Foundation
- Exit Planning Exchange (XPX) - Philadelphia Chapter
- Press Release(December 6, 2018)
- New Jersey Law Journal(June 21, 2018)
- Press Release(November 27, 2013)
- Flaster Greenberg to Present Legally Speaking Executive Roundtable on the Future of Physician PracticesPress Release(August 29, 2013)
- Press Release(October 30, 2012)
- Press Release(April 16, 2012)
- (October 2, 2018)
- Flaster Greenberg(February 2, 2017)
- Tax Planning Strategies for 2017: What Changes Lie Ahead?Bryn Mawr Trust(January 11, 2017)
- Flaster/Greenberg PC, Wilmington Trust SP Services, Inc., Wells Fargo Advisors, LLC(June 5, 2014)
- BDO USA, LLP(December 4, 2013)
- Legally Speaking Executive Roundtable Series(September 18, 2013)
- Selected Strategies: Using Trusts to Achieve Tax Advantages and Asset PreservationFirst Bank(December 12, 2012)
Articles & Alerts
- Legal Alert(May 22, 2017)
- Estate Planning Magazine- Posted with permission of Thomson Reuters(January 2015)
- Legal Alert(July 2, 2013)
- Legal Alert(December 12, 2012)
- New York
- New Jersey
- District of Columbia
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, L.L.M., Taxation
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D.
- Temple University, B.S., Accounting
- Certified Public Accountant
- Licensed in Pennsylvania and Florida