For over 30 years John W. Hargrave has dedicated his practice to helping others solve financial problems through bankruptcy, representing all three sides of the bankruptcy process: debtors, creditors and trustees. He concentrates his practices in the areas of bankruptcy litigation, bankruptcy taxation, bankruptcy trustees' rights, commercial bankruptcy, personal bankruptcy, credit fraud, small business law, sole proprietorship, fraudulent sales, secured transitions, elder law and real estate law.
He earned his B.A., cum laude, from Rider University and his J.D. from Western New England University School of Law. Mr. Hargrave is an active member of the Camden County and New Jersey State bar associations, the National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees, American Bankruptcy Institute, Founding Member of the New Jersey Bankruptcy Trustees' Association and the New Jersey Bankruptcy Lawyers Foundation.
Mr. Hargrave has been appointed as a Chapter 7 Trustee by US Department of Justice for 31 consecutive years starting in 1985. He has administered more than 15,000 chapter 7 cases.
Mr. Hargrave conducts seminars on financial distress and has been a guest on various radio programs. He is also the co-founder of the New Jersey Bankruptcy Lawyers Foundation's financial literacy program, NJFLIP. The financial literacy project is a program specifically designed to educate high school juniors, seniors and college freshman about maintaining good credit, using credit cards and avoiding identify theft.
Honors & Awards
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized as the Pro Bono Lawyer of the year by the New Jersey State Bar Association, 2011
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Camden County Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees' Association
- New Jersey Bankruptcy Trustee Association
- President, 1998 & 2007
- New Jersey Bankruptcy Lawyers Foundation – Financial Literacy Program (NJFLIP)
- Rutgers University Law School Bankruptcy Pro Bono Project. Volunteer since 1999 and member of for about 10 years of the Steering Committee.
- Camden County Toastmasters
- Member, 1985 - Present
- President, 1987 & 2007
- Saint Andrews the Apostle Church - Gibbsboro, NJ
- New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. Supreme Court
Western New England University School of Law, J.D., 1977
Rider University, B.A., cum laude, 1974